John Lewis Says He Gets Taunted By People Who Yell “Trump!”


Georgia lawmaker Rep. John Lewis said he gets taunted in public, remembering a specific story of boarding a plane where someone was shouting “Trump!” at him.

Lewis said the taunt occurred on a recent flight he had taken from Atlanta to Washington.


I was coming back to Washington on Sunday night,” Lewis said. “I was on a flight from Atlanta. And I’m walking down the aisle and the gentleman said as loud as he could, ‘Trump!’ So I didn’t — I just kept walking. 


I didn’t say anything. And sometimes I’m walking in the airport in different places. I guess [people think] they’re getting to me or harassing me. But they don’t understand… I’ve been called many, many things. But I’m not going to let anything get me down. I’m going to keep walking, keep moving.”
Lewis worked closely with Dr. Martin Luther King in the days of the civil rights movement. On the podcast, he spoke about his career in the movement and viewpoints that have led his life’s work. As a lawmaker in latest years, Lewis’s accounts of the movement have aided as a living history.
Booker and Lewis, last summer staged a sit-in on the steps of the US Capitol. The 40-minute interview appeared to show something of a bond between the two lawmakers.


“You are my hero,” Booker said, thanking Lewis for being a mentor to him. Lewis cut him off and said, “I just try to help out.”
Share:

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

Followers

support us with a like

Archive

  • ()

Categories

Popular Posts

Labels

Blog Archive

Theme Support